Sketches of stone carvings made by Etienne Rynne at Inish MacDara.
Manuscript
6357 Archival description results for Manuscript
Set of index cards describing the townland of Inis Treabhair, [Inishtravin]. A note on the Inishtrawer National School, which opened in 1900, and closed in May 1980. Detailed note on the variation of the English spelling of the townland. Descriptions are given of the following local features: Oileán Geabhróg, An tóileán ó thuaidh, an caladh ó thuaidh, caladh na Sliogán, Crompán Mór, Caladh Mhaidhc, An Mullán Liath, An Bóthar ó Thuaidh, An Caladh ó Dheas, An tOileán Domhain, Beitheach Mín, An tOileán Garbh, Oileán na Circe, An Portach Mór, the children's burial ground, Carraig na nÉan, a note of the surnames of residents of the island in the 19th and early 20th centuries, Carraig Éamainn, Daingean, a note about the local national school and its pupil numbers, Beitheach Garbh, Cora Bháin, Cora Chatháin, Cora Réamoinn, Cora Bhall, Caladh na mBruaichíní, Bun na Lathaí, An Chéibh Nua, An Screigín, Caladh Laoí, Cora Mhín, An Cora Mór, Cora Ghairbh, and An Caladh Mór. Local man Pádraig Ó'Loidean, and Mícheál Ó'Conghaile via letter are credited as providing some of the local information.
Handwritten letter to Tim from Diarmuid O'Brien enclosing two photocopied aerial photographs of Inis Oírr, and asking for clarification relating to them. (23 Oct 1977).
Handwritten letter to Tim from Bríd Ó hEithir of Inis Oírr who has asked the local school children about some of the names of the sub-divisions on Inis Oírr. She encloses her information. (8 Feb 1980).
Letter from R Miller, Registrar of the Commissioners of Irish Lights clarifying the Service's spelling of the placename as Inisheer. (3 Mar 1980).
Handwritten letter to Tim from Mairéad Póil, enclosing a photocopied list of information on Inis Oírr placenames derived from local school children. The list is in Irish and is titled 'Logainmneacha Inis Oírr, Garranta, Buailteacha agus Craga'. (9 Dec 1986). A printed copy of the 1980 map of Aran, incorporating Póil's information on Inis Oírr coastal names.
Handwritten letter to Tim from Dónall [ ] of OS Office. The subject of the letter is the modern spelling of Inis Oírr. (22 Mar 1991).
Series of correspondence between Tim and Éamon Ó Tuathail containing a lively and detailed exchange of notes on placenames, Eoghanacht and Inis Oírr are discussed in notable detail, also the correct names of the currachmen who drowned off Mainistir c. 1907. Copies of some of the letters Tim wrote in response. (24 Feb 1992 - 19 Mar 1993).
Photocopied article from Éigse 1993, 'An t-Ainm Áite Inis Oírr'.
An offprint of Tomás Ó Broin's 'Inis Thiar: Naming and Misnaming', which was published in 1999 in the JGAHS. Accompanied by a letter from Professor Ó Broin, and a copy of Tim's reponse, in which they discuss the name Inis Oírr. (1999)
Typed list entitled 'Copy of Bualite Baile' that gives an ID, fields, their townland, and who owns them. Pagination begins at p 21. (8 Nov 2006).
List of local features for the townland and Civil Parish of Inis Oírr [Inisheer]. Inis Oírr consists of 4 quarters: Carrow Druim Arlamáin, C. Castle, C. an Locha, C. an Phoillín. A note that Inis Ír is the preferred spelling of P O Fl. The spelling Inis Oírr comes from Inis Oirthir (the eastern island). The features are listed alphabetically, and there are no local features described that begin with the letters E, H, I, J, K, N, O, Q, V, W, X, Y, Z
Set of index cards describing the physical features of Inis Ní [Inishnee]. Located in Moyrus Civil Paris, and the Roman Catholic Parish of Roundstone. Robinson explains that Inis Ní is divided into three islands by very high tides. From North to South, these are Craobh, Cill, and An Ceann Ramhar. Data from the 1820, 1841, and 1851 census returns are included, Congested Districts Board data, some history of ownership dating back to the 16th century, and some information from the 1st Report of the Fishery Commissioners in 1836. Physical features which are described are: Tobar Cholm Cille [on the OS map, St Brendan's Monument is marked in the same place], Árd na gCapall, Caladh na bPortán, Caladh Flathartaigh, An Sruthar, Cloch Mhór Róisín, Poll Pháidí, Caladh Keane, Tuairín, Cora Mhór, Scaith Dhubh, Caorán, Glasoileán, Gleann na gCoileach, Carraig an Bhranda, Oileán an Chlaí, Loch Bheag, Gleann na gCat, Cnocán Mhairgín, An Storraicín [An Stoiricín], Aille an Gharraí Rua, Aille na Caillí, Cara Beag(a), Doilín Freangach, Caladh Cam, Cuan Leice, Poll Tobac, St. Mathias's Chapel, Na Bruachaí [Mud Hole], Maoilín Dóite, Cáblachaí, Caladh na Loinge, St. Brendan's Well, Inis Ní Lighthouse, Gleann na gCapall, Troscaí, Cnocán Árd Dhaibhéis, Oileán an Choirce, Aill na nÉan, Dóilín Mhór, Bóthrín Gaskin, An Chloch Bhiorrach, Croabh [Creevecarton], An Ceann Ramhar, Cill, Aill Dingle, An Duirling Bhán, Crompán Mór, Oileán na gCapall, Caladh Bháid Mhóir, Gleann Dúlamáin, Cnocán an Tuairín, An Comhartha, Cnocán Tine Cnáimh, Giúróg, Mhaidin an tSagairt, Cora Mháire Ní Iarla, Doire Fhatharta, Donegal, Carraig an Fox (connected with the story of the fox and the limpet - see also Fox Island, near Cashel), Cnocán an Fhatharta, Coirnéal Sáraithe, Cooneen na Roan, Cuainín, the Inis Ní Bridge, The Wire, Fort Island, Inis Ní National School, Muing na Fola, Daoláin, Tobar an Rí, and The Danes Fort. Many local sources are credited with providing information and stories. Those credited are Pádraig Nee, Festy Nee, Rose Green, Michael King, Mr Faherty, Martin Keene, Michael Keane, Conor Hamill, Paddy Folan, and Nimmo's map of 1823.
Set of index cards describing some of the natural physical features of the townland of Inis Mhuscraí/Inis Múscraí [Inishmuskerry]. Some information on historical industry associated with this place, Annála Beaga notes it as a place of kelp making. Features described include Mullán an 'Majesty', Tóin na mBracaí, Caladh o Dheas, Carraig Fhada, Foirnis, Carraig na nDuibheán, Na Dolachtaí, Carraig an Loinsge, Barr an Ghoimh, An Raighleach, Biorán (Birane Rock on the OS maps), Caladh ó Thuaidh, Aill na hIomlachta, Carraig an Loinsge (Carrickalusk on the OS maps), and Carraig an Ghloinigh. P de Burca, Seán Ó'Ceoinín, and the information on Carraig an Ghloinigh credited to 'Cladaigh Chonamara', written in 1938 by Séamus Mac an Iomaire.
Series of index cards describing some of the local features of the townland of Inis Mhic Cionaith, [Inchamakinna]. Robinson notes Martin S Kirwan was the occupier in fee at the time of Griffith's Valuation, and some notes on the occupiers/owners in the time since then. The last families left the island in 1973. Some brief notes on Cloch á Bheádáin, Mullán an breachta, An Caladh Mór, Bealach an tSnaimh, and An tOileán Iarthach. Robinson credits Tiachóg, a local periodical from around 1993 as being a useful source of some of the information.
List of local features for the townland, and Civil Parish of Inis Meáin [Inishmaan]. Some introductory cards relating to Seanachas Inis Meáin. Robinson lists the local features which have related stories alphabetically, and there are no placename cards for features beginning with E, I, J, K, N, Q, V, W, X, Y, Z. Each card includes a number. It is likely that these relate to one of his working maps. Inish Meáin was once divided into 8 quarters. Now it has 6 parts: Ceann an Bhaile, Baile an Duna, Baile an Teampaill, Baile an Lisín, Móinín na Ruaige, and Mothar.
Seven annotated copies of Robinson's 1975 map of Aran. Each map's annotations provides a distinct purpose. They add placenames, notes from Patrick King, ceathrú names taken from Colie Mhicilí Ó hÍarnáin, one map marks out divisions on Inis Meáin, one contains notes of local history about the Land League, one contains notes from Padraic O Flaherty, and one is described as 'Bóithríní in Cill Rónáin (Michael Gill)'. An annotated copy of the 1980 map of Aran specifies the names of quarters has been taken from 'Aran of the Saints' by J G Barry.
Typed list of names given both in English, and the corresponding Irish language name from the Name Books. Handwritten annotations throughout. The list is mainly the names of sites and townlands on Inis Meáin. Undated.
Tracings of sections of the 1975 map, with edits. One tracing includes letters and numbers, and is attached to a corresponding numbered list of Irish language placenames and sites on Inis Mór.
Handwritten draft letter, and copy typed final letter from Robinson to Patrick [ ] of The Residence, Fearann na Choirce. The letter thanks Patrick for his collection of placenames and stories, and comments on some specifically. (17 Mar 1977).
Photocopy of 'Drúchtíní Smaointe as Inismeáin - an cuma iad ann nó as?' by Úna Ní Choincheannainn and Úna Ní Meachair of Coláiste Chroí Mhuire, An Spidéal, January 1984. The piece (in Irish) includes a list of roads 'Bóithre agus Róidíní', and is attached to two pages Tim's handwritten notes.
Notebook entitled 'Placenames of Aran'. The notebook was found by John Waddell among J R W Goulden's Aran papers. It provides an Irish language list, and in some cases brief description of location. Undated. Photocopy of same document with notes from Robinson.
Loose sheet draft notes, mostly in Tim Robinson's handwriting. One page (in an unfamiliar hand) gives information on Ceann an Bhruth, Bóthar na Reilige, and other features. An acetate entitled Ainmeacha Áireacha cois na Farraige', from Bairbre Ní Fhloinn of the Folklore Department at UCD.
Handwritten letter from Áine [de Blácam] to Tim Robinson, on Inis Meáin knitting company headed paper, enclosing a photocopied section of his map, showing Inis Meáin, with handwritten notes on some of the roads. (18 Sep 1992).
File of letters to Tim Robinson from before the publication of the 1975 map of Aran, and covering his preparation for the 2nd edition in 1980.
Letter from L B Mayer-Jones of An Taisce referring Robinson to Etienne Rynne and John Waddell to answer his specific queries (29 Aug 1974).
Two letters from Colm and Mrs Faherty of Inishmaan giving names of local trade people who would like to be included on the map, and making some corrections to his map. (14 Oct - 14 Nov 1974). File of letters from several correspondents offering information on the meaning of placenames, the accuracy of locations on Robinson's map, and clarifying other local information. These correspondents are Bridgie and Colie Fitzpatrick of Inishmore (26 Oct 1974), Coley Hernon of Kilronan (27 Oct 1974), Colm/Coleman P Hernon of Kilronan (2 Nov 1974 - 1 Jan 1975), Pádraic Ó hEithir of Dublin (1 Nov 1974), and Bríd Ó hEithir of Inis Oírr (28 Jan 1975).
A letter from Éamonn de hÓir, chief officer of the Placenames Branch of the Ordnance Survey offering advice on the most accurate Irish language names for the Aran Islands. (6 Dec 1974). Photocopied article 'Sracfhéachaint ar Logainmneacha Bhaile Átha Cliath' by Éamonn de hÓir. The article is in Irish, and was published in 1975 in Studia Hibernica.
Two letters from Kenneth G Bale of the Ordnance Survey Office congratulating Robinson on the good reception his map has received, and answers a query about O'Donovan's methodology in collecting placenames. (15 Sep-9 Oct 1975).
File of letters from Pádraig Ó Flaitheartaigh of Wexford (16 Jan 1977 - 2 Oct 1979). All correspondence in this file is in Irish. Recommends articles and local people to speak to, and suggests minor updates to the map (16 Jan 1977). Letter enclosing detailed notes and stories on Gort na gCapall and Máguaird (the notes are paginated, 1 page in the sequence is not included in the archive). (2 Mar 1977). Letter responding to some specific queries Robinson had on An Réidh Bhig, Aill an Ára, Naomh Éanna, and other features (14 Nov 1977). Letter answering some specific queries on An Sraoilleán, An Clochán Bheag, and other features (2 Oct 1979). Undated notes making some corrections to the 1975 map, specifically on Aill an eala, Gob an chlochair, and others.
Small file of correspondence between Robinson and Professor Tomás Ó Máille. Copy letter from Robinson seeking Ó Máille's advice on a few points relating to placenames, including Aill an Ára, Iar Áirne, and others (Sep 1979). Handwritten reply from Ó Máille in Irish, enclosing notes (22 Jun 1980). Photocopy of 'Ára mar Áitainm' le T S Ó Máille (article in Irish).
Handwritten letter to Robinson from [ ] with handwritten notes in red ink on a typed list of Minor names and Major sites used on the map. 19 Apr [ ].
List handwritten by Robinson entitled 'Inismeain: Museum List', with placenames from the Aran map. Undated document.
Hand-drawn family tree of the Fitzpatricks from the early 18th century. In Robinson's handwriting, document undated. Corresponds to information on the back of one of the historical OS maps (P120/3/1/1/2)
Handwritten notes covering aspects of Eochaill, Eoghanacht, and the Digby family, Robinson's handwriting.
Four local business cards, for inclusion in the map.